The Calvin Fletcher School, also known as School #8 and later High School #2, was built in 1857 to replace the former Seventh Ward School. Originally an elementary school, architect Isaac Hodgson designed the two-story brick masonry structure with simple stone trim and a slate roof in the American Utilitarian style. Hodgson is best known for designing the exquisite Marion County Courthouse, which was demolished in 1962. Additional classrooms were added 1915-1916 followed by a one-story gymnasium in 1942. With the creation of newer and larger schools in the district, this schoolhouse was closed, sold in 1980, and renovated into offices. The building was transformed again into Calvin Fletcher Apartments in the early 2000s and continues to function as apartments today.
The school’s name was changed to “Calvin Fletcher School” in 1905 to honor the pioneering resident, Calvin Fletcher, who championed free schools in Indianapolis. Born in Vermont in 1798, Fletcher moved to Indianapolis in 1825 and became one of the first lawyers here. Fletcher joined Nicholas McCarty in purchasing the Wood Lawn estate, roughly 269 acres, from Dr. John H. Sanders in 1835. The Indiana Democrat paper reported on the land sale and described Wood Lawn estate as “one of the most desirable situations in the neighborhood.” In 1839, Fletcher moved his family from their home at the intersection of East Ohio Street and North New Jersey Street to Wood Lawn. He stayed here until 1855. In honor of the 134th anniversary of Fletcher’s birthday in 1932, the school named February 4th as “Calvin Fletcher Day.” Twenty-five students performed a play of pioneer customs at the scene of the old Fletcher home, Wood Lawn.
What do you think Wood Lawn’s 269 acres would have looked like during Calvin Fletcher’s time? How much of the area would have been covered in trees? How much of it would have been dedicated to farming?

The two adjacent squares drawn with hash marks show the school in 1866. Note the “railway” line, or streetcar line, going along Virginia Avenue.
Credit: A. Warner, Worley & Bracher, and F. Bourquin, Map of Marion County, Indiana, Philadelphia: C.O. Titus, 1866.

School illustrated on the 1887 fire insurance map; the pink color denotes the use of brick. Note that Huron Street to the north of the school here is later changed to Lexington Avenue.
Credit: 1887 Sanborn Map, MapIndy, City of Indianapolis.

An IPS inventory of all school buildings in 1939 with architectural and construction notes. Note the addition to the southeast of the building from the previous 1887 illustration.
Credit: School No. 8, School Photographs and Floor Plans, 1939, Indianapolis Public Schools Architectural Drawings, Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library, 1939,

Students walking back inside school after a fire drill, 1950.
Credit: Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Collection





Share
Tweet
Pin It
Send It

All Photos
Share