The Fountain Block Building was constructed in 1902 by German immigrant August Elbrecht. In the 1870s, August and Elizabeth Elbrecht purchased this land, which contained many small one-story commercial structures – including Frederick W. Rosebrock’s grocery store from 1885-1900. The Elbrecht’s building permit listed Prader & Krass as the contractors. The three-story Fountain Block’s original layout included commercial retail on the first floor, apartments and offices on the second floor, and a grand hall on the top floor. Look up and admire the architecture. The window’s keystones, or the decorative middle stone at the top of an arch, contain distinctive scrolled acanthus leaves.
Early tenants included Joseph Reisbeck’s drugstore (1910-1947), Charles Kluger’s jewelry store (1928-1940), A.L. Bartholomew’s barbershop (1910-1919), Fred and August Mueller’s men’s furnishing store (1921-1930), and Sablosky’s department store (1930-1934). One interesting tenant was the South Side Spiritualist Church, which hosted programs and events in the grand hall on the top floor.
In 1994, the building was renovated and turned into the Fountain View Senior Apartments. It was noted at this time in the newspaper that “The building became the focal point for the community and sparked a building spree. Fountain Square soon became one of Indianapolis’ premier entertainment centers.” For many years, the Fountain Square Branch of the Indianapolis Public Library system occupied the first floor. The library closed its doors in 2020 and a year later Indy Reads, a nonprofit bookstore and literacy center, opened in the space.

The Fountain Block Building pasted up on the 1898 Sanborn after it was constructed in 1902.
Credit: 1898 Sanborn Map, MapIndy, City of Indianapolis.

Advertisement for the South Side Spiritualist Church in the ballroom of the Fountain Block.
Credit: Advertisement, “Church Notices,” Indianapolis Times, February 23, 1924.

The Fountain Block in the background of an accident, 1945.
Credit: Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Collection

The Fountain Block in 1986 prior to renovations.
Credit: “Fountain Block, 1062-1068 Virginia Avenue, 1986,” Indiana Landmarks Historic Architecture Collection, Herron School of Art Library, 1986.





Share
Tweet
Pin It
Send It

All Photos
Share